DARK MOFO X Culture Scouts
14th June - 16th June 2019
Join Culture Scouts in a heady few days of festivities. Delve into the Museum of Old and New Art, (MONA), one of the most unique museums in the world and a pilgrimage for art lovers from all over the world.
Dark Mofo, MONA’s winter festival, delves into centuries-old winter solstice rituals, exploring links between ancient and contemporary mythology, humans and nature, religious and secular traditions, darkness and light, and birth, death and renewal.
Explore Dark Park, a public art playground, events with international musicians and artists performing around the city and endless culinary experiences.
We hope you are as excited as we are about a weekend of art, music, creativity and exploration. Below you will find a copy of your itinerary, with information about the exciting places we will be visiting. Dark Mofo is an annual pilgrimage to Tasmania celebrating the dark through large scale public art, film, food, film, music, light and noise.
Places are strictly limited so we recommend securing your spot as soon as possible!
Superior Waterfront Room
Per person, for 2 nights, inc. breakfast:
(Room layout - 2 x King Single Beds)
Optional upgrade to Premium Waterfront Suite
Additional: $175 per night, if upgrading alone; or
$90 per person, per night, if upgrading as a couple.
If you are travelling alone and do not want to share a room, you will be charged an additional $300 per night.
*Guests travelling alone will be automatically put in a share room with another guest on the tour. Please advise at time of booking if you do not want to share a room.
$500 per person, non-refundable, taken at time of booking to secure your spot. Final payment due before 14th April 2019.
*All prices are inclusive of GST
*Credit card payments incur 2.5% merchants fee. Payments can be done by direct transfer upon request.
Tour price includes:
- 2 nights accommodation at MAQ01 hotel, including breakfast.
- Friday night group drinks.
- Friday night entry only to Winter Feast.
- Saturday lunch at ‘The Source’ restaurant at MONA.
- Wine tasting tour of Moorilla winery at MONA.
- Ferry transport to and from MONA.
- Entry tickets to museum and exhibitions at MONA.
- Exclusive 1.5 hour tour around the Detached Cultural Organisation’s extensive and outstanding permanent collection.
Tour price does not include:
- Friday lunch.
- Cost of food and beverage at the Winter Feast.
- Saturday evening dinner.
- Saturday evening DARK MOFO events (tickets available in April at extra cost).
- DARK MOFO special events (tickets are available to purchase in April).
- Transfers to and from airport.
- Travel insurance.
DAY 1: FRIDAY 14TH JUNE, 2019*
- Arrive Hobart. Check in to Hotel.
- Come and join us for lunch (optional)
- Art Gallery visits. Come with us and explore some galleries in Salamanca, including a gallery talk. Meet the gallery owner and explore the stockroom of artworks.
- Back to hotel. Meet for welcoming drinks at MACQ01 bar hosted by Culture Scouts.
- Watch the sunset over beautiful Salamanca Bay as we all get ready for the evening festivities!
- Dinner - Winter Feast. The culinary centre piece of DARK MOFO. Over the past four years Mona’s annual midwinter banquet has become a national pilgrimage for food lovers and cultural travellers, attracting up to 10,000 people to the Hobart waterfront each night.
- Dark Park. Industrial public art playground at Macquarie Park on Hobart’s docks. Watch, wander, feel and lose your way through the installations.
DAY 2: SATURDAY, 15th JUNE, 2019*
Day at MONA:
- Posh Pit ferry over to MONA. Departs 9.30am, arrives 10am - The perfect start to the day! Escape the riff-raff, enjoy complimentary drinks, canapes and inflated egos in the exclusive Posh Pit lounge bar and private deck.
- Entry into MONA Museum and PHARIS exhibition, themed around light works.
- Lunch at The Source. A sumptuous 2 course lunch with glass of wine.
- Moorilla winery VIP tour in seated barrel room for wine tasting.
- Posh Pit ferry back to Hobart. Departs 5pm from MONA, arrives Hobart 5.30pm
- DARK MOFO evening events - Schedule not yet released. We will contact you for recommended events and to purchase tickets (ticket costs not included, program to be released in April 2019).
DAY 3: SUNDAY, 16th JUNE, 2019*
Tour of art collection:
- We have arranged for you to have a private and exclusive guided tour around Detached Cultural Organisation’s permanent art collection spread over 37,000sqft and housed in an old mission church in Hobart.
- We will split the group in two, and run two 1.5 hour long consecutive tours at 10am, and 11.30am.
Apart from the collection tour, the last day in Hobart is unstructured time and you are encouraged to explore the many activities in and around Hobart.
- Mount Wellington - offers sensational views of Hobart and beyond. Also great bushwalking tracks!
- Huon Valley - Willie Smith’s Apple Shed - great for lunch!
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
*Itinerary subject to change.
A STORYTELLING HOTEL
The breeze along Hobart’s waterfront carries a thousand captivating stories of those that were here before us – a cast of remarkable characters, each with an intriguing story to tell. In this place, the Mouheneenner people fished and forged dreams in the Derwent shallows; the first Europeans set foot ashore Van Diemen’s Land and an industry was borne amid the bustle of Hunter Island. Today, this precinct is home to MACq 01 where the stories of these colourful characters are shared in a setting of informal luxury. This is a storytelling hotel.
We have Superior Waterfront Rooms available as a twin share, and Superior Waterfront Suites available as an upgrade option.
Nestled amongst the foothills of Mt Wellington, Hobart combines heritage charm with a modern lifestyle in a setting of exceptional beauty. It's no wonder Lonely Planet has called Hobart one of the top ten spots to visit in the world right now.
Hobart is Tasmania's capital city and the second oldest capital in Australia, after Sydney. Located at the entrance to the Derwent River, its well-preserved surrounding bushland reaches close to the city centre and beaches line the shores of the river and estuary beyond.
With its captivating history, picturesque waterways, rugged mountains and gourmet experiences, the city has something for everyone.
Packing reminder - Warm Clothes! It will be 6 degrees at night… Hat, scarf, thermals, comfortable walking shoes. Plus some sporty clothes if you fancy a jog along the harbour or trail walk on Mt Wellington.
RECOMMENDED FLIGHTS TO HOBART
Friday 14th, dep Syd at 9:15, arr Hobart 11:15
Sunday 16th, dep Hob at 16:45 arr Sydney 18:25
Friday 14th, dep Syd at 7:30 arr Hobart 9:25
Sunday 16th, dep Hobart at 16:30 arrive Sydney 18:20